Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Daughter

I write a lot about Kyle, because the absence of him is a constant pain in my heart, and after all, the reason I started this blog was to figure out how to live with having lost him. I don't write a lot about Miranda, because, well, she is a near-constant joy. And one doesn't usually write about joy. Joy is not a big draw. It's pretty boring and it just doesn't sell soap. But I'll risk being boring, because one must not take for granted one's first child, particularly when one has been so careless as to have lost her second.

The miracle of raising children is that two people--with all their flaws--get together and produce little genetic wonders that somehow far surpass them both in brains, beauty, talent, and mental health. Miranda is such a wonder. I could write about how proud I am of her accomplishments, but this would only embarrass her. I could write about how strong, brilliant, funny, insightful, hard-working, and beautiful she is, but this, too, would only embarrass her. If I write about her talent and potential, I will add to the mounting pressure in her life. And, god knows, I better not gush. So what to do.

Ah, I know. I just will send you to her blog. Read it. You will begin to understand why I respect, love, admire, and enjoy Miranda McLeod so much.

3 comments:

Robin said...

"when one has been so careless as to have lost her second..."

Auntie, your carefulness or carelessness has nothing whatsoever to do with losing Kyle. I do hope you know that somewhere deep down where you spar with parental guilt.

Both Miranda and Kyle are forever worthy of your every proud attention and affection and you are worthy of feeling such things as an accomplished mother. There is so little joy and love in this world to spread around these days and nothing boring in that at all. It is a gift.

Love, hugs, and all the good stuff...

c. g. said...

My "careless" remark was an unintended homage to Oscar Wilde. His character Lady Bracknell,when interviewing Jack to see if he is an appropriate suitor for her daughter says, "To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; ... to lose both looks like carelessness."

Don't worry, my sweet niece, I do not blame myself for Kyle's accident. But: Coming Soon: a blog entitled Mea Culpa, about things I do feel responsible for. Stay tuned.

Robin said...

Oscar, Oscar....in Ireland he is everywhere and always dressed like a dandy. So glad it was a literary reference... : )