Thursday, September 6, 2007

Coping Strategies

Bad Coping Strategies include:
Eating
Sleeping
Watching TV
Watching TV while eating

Good Coping Strategies include:
Blogging
Being with friends
Walking
Swimming
Mindfulness

I knew a bit about Mindfulness before I took the Mindful Awareness class at UCLA and I couldn't have picked a better time to learn it in greater depth. Mindfulness is basically about being in and staying in The Here and Now. It's not hugely different from other forms of meditation at first glance, but I couldn't at this point sound very intelligent trying to tell you how it differs. But MA has definitely been helpful. Although it is hard to say how much of my new found calm is Grief and Exhaustion versus Being Mindfully Aware. Suffice it to say, that I now have a way to stop, be in the moment, bring myself to a centered peaceful state, stay there quite a while, and resume life ALK again. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

didi979 said...

Cyn - I have been accepted to teach a course at the Amherst Leisure Services called, "Mindfulness for Tweens." I will be teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grade girls, using the Yoga Ed. curriculum as the core of the class.

Also, yesterday I was interviewed by a reporter from the Boston Herald about yoga education in public schools. My partner, Deb Cohen, gave them my name. There's supposed to be an article in the Herald this Sunday. I'll let you know if/when it comes out.

Lots of hugs - I'm glad you took the class - it can only help sweetie!

Love,
Dianne

c. g. said...

hey di -- my MA class teacher has written a book on MA for teens. her name is diana winston. her book is Wide Awake: A Buddhist Guide for Teens (2003). (www.wide-awake.org). she's great and i bet her material is too. thanks for all the love, hugs, and comments. -- love you too--cyn