Thursday, July 24, 2008

Post Mortem

i am doing well. truly.

the year built and built from the moment of the phone call from gear. i moved first as if under water, swimming and clawing my way through mire and sludge. sometimes it was as if i were climbing a mountain, out of breath, then finally making it over the top, only to run, nearing falling, plummeting down too fast to the bottom.

i still spend time floating on my back in the pool, staring at the sky, watching clouds, tracking birds, swaying with tree tops, wondering about Kyle. but the pain has lessened, the burden is lighter. i breathe more easily.

so i've made it through the entire First Year. there are no other firsts to face. except the anniversary of the memorial in Eagle Rock on August 19th. but i think that will be fine. it's different than the reliving of the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 13th of july. and every holiday, birthday.

i am well. i feel well. i have kept on my eating plan and have lost 57 pounds and wearing size 10 pants (omigod) and am swimming a lot and am healthier than i've been in a long long time. Kyle would be happy, cause he worried about my weight. and Miranda is relieved, i'm sure. she once said, and it stays with me, "Mom, you can't die before I've learned all your wisdom." how could you keep killing yourself with food with a child like that to live for.

soon i am heading off to visit family and friends in New England and that will be both exhilarating and exhausting, but essentially good. i never spent enough time there with the children, but i can't dwell on that, or on any regret, now.

it's all good, isn't it, Kyle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is, Auntie. I love you. We love you. It is all good... : )

And you'll have Kyle with you when you go home to New England. He loved all his family so very much.

I still remember how he made us laugh when he visited with Kiersty, Nick, and I in NH. He was brilliant. He was sweet. He was kind. HIs big sister made him fold himself into the back seat of the tiny rental car - all the way to Cape Cod. Kyle complied. That's love, that's real love.

He ate my pancakes that morning. He played video games with my son, who thought Kyle was the coolest guy a seven-year-old boy ever met. He answered Kiersty's questions patiently. He bent so low to hug me goodbye. He smiled a lot. I have a picture of he and Miranda and Kiersty and Nick all together on the porch. All smiles, each one.

I know you will remember all the places you visited with him, all the people you visited with him, all the old haunts you shared with him. He saw, he remembered, he knew. He'll be there with you again, in spirit, on this trip. Maybe in your dreams again. And you did well, by him. By teaching him about New England. I know he thought it was all good... : )

Huge Hugs, Safe Journey, and Much Love to You!

Nicole Sandoz said...

Cynthia. I can't begin to express my sorrow at your hearing of your loss. I remember you always calling him "kylie". I am just so sorry. Nicole and I would love to re-establish contact with you and Miranda.

Call or email me. 626-396-9043
morgansandoz@yahoo.com

Beverley