Saturday, July 5, 2008

The 5th of July - Part II: The Day Ends

Devon arrives first. Then Flynn with dark hair. The Cat (The Puss) greets her better than before, allowing himself to be stroked, whereas in the past he would run under my bed to hide. Toby recognizes Flynn and wags his tail less enthusiastically than many a dog, but with clear recognition.

George and Andrew and Sean and Aaron and Phil and Sean's friend Kate arrive and over pizza and beer we share stories for a long time.

At 4:30 we leave in separate cars to head to Forest Lawn where--what with 2 Sigalerts and a police break it's about 6pm closing time when Dev and I get there--we eventually meet Dorian and Nancy, Olivia and John, and Ky's friends. They have brought flowers and potted flowering plants for me to take home after.

We sit for a long time. We say some things directly to Kyle, we tell stories, we laugh a lot. No one has come to remind us about closing time. I check the time; I feel seven o'clock looming, the time of Ky's accident exactly one year ago. Over the next several minutes we are acutely aware that this was when he ran and climbed and fell.

Dorian says a few words and sings "What a Wonderful World" and then "Nature Boy." As he sings I can hear Nat King Cole's version too.


There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings
This he said to me
"the greatest thing you’ll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"



We cry, we sit a while longer, and then say goodbye again to our beautiful young man.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

this breaks my heart - so glad you weren't alone....