Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Get Thee to a Nunnery

since sal brought it up on Mir's blog, i'm going to talk about my weight.

when ky died i couldn't eat. couldn't think about eating. people kept saying, "you've got to eat," but no, i didn't have to eat. i have enough stores of sustenance on this body to keep me going for a long time. if i'd been in the Donner party, i still would have been been worth munching on at the way end of the trek.

true to form, a few days after my appetite came back. in spades. it was if my stomach thought it could bring kyle back if i could just fill it until bursting. and talk about really understanding the meaning of comfort food? ohmigod. i only wanted ice cream, french fries, cheeseburgers, candy bars, chips. not good. i was miserable about kyle and miserable about eating. i loved and hated every morsel. i gained 7 pounds in the weeks and months following kyle's death. but i didn't care.

except that i do care. in fact, i am a little hyper-aware of my mortality. i have a nasty genetic situation. my mother died at 59 (i am 58 and 11/12ths) of a pulmonary embolism; my father died at 61 of a massive coronary; my nana whitham had 3 heart attacks in her 50's--although lived to 84; and there's more. cancer, diabetes, stroke. we have it all in my family tree.

i needed the dietary equivalent of a nunnery. unless i did something drastic, weight loss was not gonna be happening. and then i remembered the UCLA RFO (Risk Factor Obesity) Program. i had done it 4 years ago and lost 35 pounds--i looked pretty damned hot for a zoftig gal. but did i reach my goal weight? no. did i do the maintenance classes? no. did i resort to my old habits (Eating Equals Over-Eating)? yes, i did. and regained the weight.

so, on miranda's birthday i returned to the RFO clinic, where they have a team of folks on you like white on rice. weekly you are weighed; they take your blood; they give you an EKG; you visit with the doctor and the nutritionist. then you go to nutrition, behavior, and support classes. it's a chunk of one's Saturday morning (and i have to be there before 7:45 a.m. in order to get to work in Eagle Rock by 11).

oh, also that's when you buy your food. well, your boxes of envelopes of nutritional product. you get 7 soup/shake packets a day, each packet containing 15 grams of protein and 100 calories. "Seven hundred calories a day!" you gasp. yes, indeed. and ohmigod does the weight fall off. i've lost 15 pounds since 11/17, even with Thanksgiving.

i am feeling terrific. the stuff tastes fine. i usually take Saturday nights off so i can be a bit better of a companion when i get together with friends. even then, i am cautious in my choices. you would never believe how good a cup of fresh berries (with a little whipped cream) taste when you've been living on soy protein.

i know this sounds extreme, but i need to take extreme measures. i was killing myself with food. and that is selfish and unfair. i have a daughter and brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and cousins and friends. and, damn it, i am not going to give any of them one more loss for a long long time. i'll meet up with kyle at that great reggae sunsplash when i'm ninety and not a day before.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right On Sister

sbl2383 said...

congratulations! and thank you....we want you around for a LONG, LONG time!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!

wanda said...

Now I KNOW we're related...I've been on a crash diet since last fall when all hell broke loose for me. The same one you went on it sounds like. Fill your face with fat, pasta, bread...Fill up that hole. Stop exercising, 'cause it's too damn hard to do it the bigger you get. I joined weight watchers last spring, and summer, and this fall. I weigh the exact same now as I did when I joined last spring. It's not working. My head's not in it. But it should be. My health is deteriorating quickly. I've got to learn more about this program you're on. It sounds horrible, but the quick results might make it worthwhile. Protein drinks? My hat's off to you.

Lunafly said...

Goof for you! I could imagine your smile as I read. I know I would be fine if it wasn't for chocolate and cheese!

didi979 said...

Lots of hugs to you sweetie; this is a great post! I am really happy for you. Keep it up.

Hugs,
dianne

c. g. said...

thanks for all the support. i got a great bunch o cheerleaders in you all. love to all, cyn

Katie said...

Yay for you, Cyn. I am so proud of you. Rock on, girl and keep us posted. I love you. k

galo said...

I have done RFO for a couple years.
Congratulations on getting back into the program.

I can tell you that your friends will not mind if you eat your RFO formula, z-pro, or whatever when you are with them.

And you will make better progress.

PS: My blog: weightandhealthmanagement touches on the teachings of RFO.