Monday, December 31, 2007

Countdown to 2008

When I turned 7 years old, my dad told me 7 was a very special year and from that point on, I considered 7 my lucky number.

It turned out my dad was wrong. Kyle died in the 7th month of the year 2007. Although he was officially pronounced dead on the 6th, his respirator was turned off and his organs were taken in the earliest hours of the 7th. In fact, his last phone call was just about at 7pm. His accident was within minutes after. I remember looking up at the clock at UCLA where I was running a parenting group and it said 7:01. The group was supposed to end at 6:45, but I tend to run over, trying to give folks every bit of wisdom I can muster. But I felt a strong urgency to stop right then.

I met my friend Marylou and sister Sallie for dinner. I was a misery. Looking at the tiny table, the cramped chairs, the loudly colored images on the flat screened TV on the wall above, I actually said to them, "I don't see a way I can be comfortable." I went to the bathroom. I said out loud, "Cyn, what the hell is the matter with you?" I returned to the table. Apologized and sat down. I had a hard time ordering. My conversation was forced. Later I found out, Marylou thought I was angry at them. At a place they were both so excited to show me. Korean barbeque. Sizzling bits of beef and vegetables. Perfect for my perennial diet. But the food tasted strange. My mood was disturbed and disturbing. Nothing was right.

I had left my cell phone in the car. I rarely do that. Normally I think, "if there's a hold-up, if the roof collapses in an earthquake, I want to have my cell phone." But the phone had run out of juice. I didn't hear the 15 calls from Sean, Gearey, Licie, everyone. Not until I was driving away with Sallie did the phone ring again with Gearey telling me to stop driving the car. That was how it happened.

There may be other bad years to come, but 2007 is bound to stand out as the very worst.

2008 will be better. But I'm afraid of that. I picture learning to live with the grief, but I wonder -- as grief's sharp edges dull, will Kyle fade in my memory? Will the pictures in my mind reduce to the photos around me and the ones on the slide show? Will I eventually capture on this blog all the stories about Kyle, so that my love and memory of him will be no longer boundless, but a completed set of images within a frame? If I write a book about Kyle some day, will that reduce him to a collection of words on a limited number of pages between the covers? I find these possibilities heartbreaking.

But 2008 will be the year I accept Kyle's death. It will be the year I return to sanity. It will be the year I (and I do hate this phrase) move on. It will be the year I start to forget. I guess 2008 won't be so great.

I am sorry for this post. I know I don't need to apologize, but I had meant to blog about the peace I have been feeling and the spiritual strength and love and connection that is growing among my family members. I wanted to talk about having a lovely Christmas with Miranda in NYC and staying at Gail's house in Brooklyn and going to the best party on Christmas eve at the home of 3 wonderful Greek sisters who had married wonderful Italian men and all had had daughters, so the place was rocking with 3 generations of folks and great fun and food. And I wanted to talk about the plays Miranda and I saw. And I wanted to brag about my 22 pounds of weight loss and fitting into smaller clothing. I wanted to share that I am not in the excruciating place I had been in. But I guess that will be for my first blog in the new year.

Meanwhile, don't let this get you down. I think I just needed a few minutes of thinking about Kyle and mourning a little, before heading out to a party with my BF and welcoming the new year. Everything's gonna be alright. It's gonna be "All good." Right, Ky?

So have a Happy New Year. I will. I promise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you can have any kind of year you want to have in 2008. Changing, evolving, morphing your grief doesn't have to be a New Year's resolution. And, accepting Kyle's death is as unacceptable as deciding to stop breathing. I know that you want and need to experience your loss in ways that require fewer 15 minute meltdowns, but ease your way there in 2008. No expectations, no limitations, no demands on yourself. You've been remarkably brave and strong in more ways than you realize.

Words and images of Kyle will never confine his energy to those mediums. That would be impossible. He lives so vividly and vibrantly within the love you and your family and friends feel for him and for one another. He will integrate and live on in ways which are unimaginable to you, even at this time. He will never, ever diminish, but continue on. Soon, you will begin see and know that there is so much, much more that is infinite about your baby boy, than you ever realized. Kyle is never going to be forgotten by you and your memories of him will slowly and gently transform into something really beautiful and thriving and ever present.

2008 will be a year of changing, no doubt, but Kyle will be with you as much in this year as he has been with you these many months past. He'll be whispering to you that, yeah, it's all good- and you'll begin to believe him.

wanda said...

Talking it out is always good - or all good, as the saying goes. So keep talking, writing, thinking. And thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are in mine. xo-w

Anonymous said...

Kyle would not want you to stop living just because he had to leave the planet first. 100 years from now, we and everyone we know will be gone with him. For now, we must live, remembering him and cherishing each other all the more.

Katie said...

I love you. I can't wait to see you in the new year. I am so proud of you and I am so grateful you share your heart with us. k