Monday, October 15, 2007

happy birthday, della

dearest della, my friend of 27 years and counting.

you are the best. you are so caring, so generous, and so present in my life. as if you hadn't done enough, after you got my call the night of july 5th from the road, you left your home in Berkeley around 11, i guess, to go to Stanford Medical Center and hold Ky's hand throughout the night until we could arrive at 5:30 a.m. it has meant more to me than i can ever say in words that you were there for him and for me. all the way driving north on the 5, i knew he was in good hands. i knew that family was there. i knew that if he was scared, he'd be comforted by your loving presence.

della, who stayed with me so much at the hospital. who put up me and my family and kept us fed and in comfort as we struggled to stay sane. who found photographs of our baby boy to show to the hospital staff.

aunt della. who gave ky (among so many thoughtful gifts) his quilt. the quilt that we found with the few precious things he had with him where he was crashing. aunt della, who took all the pictures (hence, her having them that night!). who made many a Thanksgiving and Easter meal and dinner and breakfast for us. who tried to keep all the kids safe and sound.

who got married in December, providing Miranda and Kyle and me a wonderful couple of days together and a spectacular wedding reception where Ky danced with his happy mother, alive with love for her best friend's happiness and her own family.

della, who from afar, helps me keep afloat in this swirling mire of grief and exhaustion.

i love you, honorary sister, dearest of so many dearest friends,

and wishing you so many happy returns of the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Della!!!!


Hey does this mean I can get to be a sister too??

didi979 said...

Della:

Hope you had or are having a wonderful day and thank you so much for taking care of everyone at your home in July - we all love you!

Dianne

c. g. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear One, Thank you so very much for your wonderful and loving words. I was so glad I could be there for you and Kyle. After the shock of seeing him and the first flood of tears, I sat and sat and I know you (and Kyle) wouldn't approve, but I said some prayers,and told him how much I loved him and how sorry I was that this had happened to him and that you and Geary would be there soon. Eventually, I laid my head on the bed and tried to sleep. I hope somehow he knew I was there.
Love, Della