Sunday, October 7, 2007

Coyote Beautiful

Last night I left my office, ran an errand, and got to the cemetery just at 6pm. The heavenly-gate sized gates were half closed and the sign on the gate said hours were "8 a.m. to 6 p.m." On the inside of the gate I could see a security type guy, standing beside a security type car, talking to a man who was sitting in the driver's seat of his car. It looked like the security guy was explaining that it was too late and he'd have to leave. I burst into tears.

How could I have been so irresponsible. I had plenty of time. I'd stopped at CVS to get a birthday card for Louise. I'd bought a lipstick. I'd picked up a Reese's peanut butter cup. I noticed it was late when no flower sellers were on the side of the road getting off the 134. I should have realized cemeteries don't stay open all night. They have a closing time.

But, eternal optimist that I am, I drive in anyway, drive up to the guy, wind down the window. Sobbing, I explain that I just want to visit for a few minutes, that I live across town, that I want to see my son, that I screwed up on my timing.

He interrupted me, calmly, and said, "Sure, ma'm, there's a wedding in there tonight. Stay as long as you like." I started crying more, in relief. God, if we could collect my tears and desalinize them I could hydrate southern California single handedly.

So I drove in and wound my way passed families clustered beside their loved one's graves, watching the sun sink toward the west. Some sitting in folding chairs. Bouquets of flowers everywhere. I parked at Abiding Love and climbed the hill. I greeted Ky, apologized for my lack of flowers, tried to figure out how I could share the Reese's without drawing ants, and settled on eating the insides and folding the wrapper carefully and tucking it inside the vase's lining. I didn't think he'd mind.

It was beautiful there. Peaceful, cool. The sun was sinking and the colors of the sky were changing. Then, off to my left, I spotted a coyote prancing down the hill. He stopped not far from me, our eyes met, and luckily he continued his path down the banking, across the narrow street, and into the next field of graves. He seemed sure of himself and quite dignified. I knew for sure it was a coyote. We have a lot of them in Los Angeles. His snout was long, his ears pointy. He looked quite at home, so I hoped he was comfortable sharing the grounds with us grieving folk. Comfortable enough to leave me alone. I tried to take a picture of him on my cell phone.

I love Ky's space. Our space. It's hard, but essential, to visit him. I cry, tell him again how much I love him and miss him. Clean sticks off his grave. Look at the sky. Watch the birds and the squirrels. And last night, I met a coyote.

11 comments:

Janice said...

Your comments made me more convinced about having a place to go. Thanks for sharing. I think it does bring some peace to have a place to share our love and missing of them. Your words have convinced me. My heart and tears are with you. I think ofthe coyote and my thoughts keep coming back to the thought that somehow he was standing guard over all the loved ones there. Its a nice thought anyway. Love and peace to you.

c. g. said...

aren't we an interesting pair of non-deists!!!

didi979 said...

Cyn:

For me that coyote was Kyle's spirit visiting you. I know that he misses you as much as you miss him, and he is very thankful that his family is visiting him and bringing gifts - particularly their love and tranquility (It's all good people!).

I love you sweetie,
Dianne

c. g. said...

Sallie said the same thing. Well, I hope to see the coyote again, then. Love you too.

Robin said...

Hhmmm....baseball, taxes, coyotes...and Kyle....I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you that I dreamed an almost unbelievable dream about Kyle a few weeks ago; and what with non-deist and other assorted spirituality represented by the BVW who frequent here (and thanks for your praise, Uncle) on your blog...I hope it will be as Kyle liked to say..."All good."

It is odd, because I spent time with cousin Kyle exactly 3 times during his entire life....first when you, my beloved Auntie, were lugging him around in your womb at about 8 months....again when he was a baby and awoke from a nap to be given a bottle by (me) his babysitter for the evening....and then once again when he was a teenager and shared pancakes with my little family during a visit to New England....not the makings of a close familial bond...but Kyle left an impression....

And so, I was untroubled when dreaming about puttering through my home, placing fresh sheets on a guest room bed, arranging flowers on the nightstand along with an eclectic assortment of books for late night reading....all this, as though someone were arriving at any moment to visit...and I was about to move a television into the room...when in walks Kyle....

....who looks at me and says, "It isn't necessary.".....and I say, "But, you'll want the TV in here, just in case you get bored with visiting."....to which he replies, "It isn't necessary, I don't need it."....and I insist, "It isn't any trouble at all, really, and you might want to be away from everyone to be alone for some of the time.".....and Kyle looks at me with his eyes all warm and shining and he says really gently, as though he were speaking to a small child, "It isn't necessary. I'm not going to be away from everyone to be alone for some of the time. I'm going to be with everyone all the time."....

....hugs.... : )

c. g. said...

of course, dearest niece, if you had moved in a game system, or a computer . . . (smile)

c. g. said...

but how lovely a dream . . .

Robin said...

....I don't think so..... : )

Robin said...

Ummm, about the techy lures, I mean....

lbergman said...

A coyote walked off with my cat hanging out of it's mouth about 15 years ago. With me watching. It was awful and, not surprisingly, left me with a palpable distaste (bordering on a PTSD-type reaction) to coyotes. Reading your post, I had such a different reaction; of calm, and peace. Thought I'd share--to thank you for sharing--and to let you know that I'm still reading.

c. g. said...

thanks, LB. i'm glad my tale could help perhaps with your relationship to the wild things. there's been a rash of coyote sightings, according to last night's news. hope any critters you have are safe and sound.