Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Rest . . . there are better ways to get one.

My sweet niece Katie wrote, "I hope you get a rest real real soon." Well, I guess the Gods in Favor of Well-Rested Aunts were listening. The latest vision problems? Signs of detached retina. I leave in 7 minutes for the hospital for eye surgery. As Mir would say, "Get ex-ci-ted!!!" (So the way to forget about going blind? Just get the damned surgery over with.)

Now the resting part. I have to take two weeks off work (and off pay for my non UCLA practice) and keep my head down. All the time. And there is a long list of what I can't do. Starting with washing my hair for a week and not lifting anything over 30 pounds for 6 months. That'll be pleasant.

So, once again, as with my hysterectomy and losing my son, I find less than perfect ways to take vacation. I thought Scotland was a much better plan.

So -- now it's 4 minutes from takeoff. I better stop.

I'll be blogging soon, I hope.

1 comment:

wanda said...

Now I feel badly about my comments on How to Stop Worrying...from a few minutes ago. I read that blog before reading this one (I was trying to catch up with you chronologically...) Next time, I'll go backwards in time.

In any case, I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the very best outcome from this present predicament. Do everything the doctor says - no kidding. Health care has given up giving most patients any type of warning or precautions. They are there for a reason. You need time to heal and retinal tissue should be treated with utmost care.

I hope this opportunity to REST and RELAX finds you doing so. Take advantage of it. And take care, cousin.
xo-w