Monday, May 26, 2008

Last Memorial Day

The last time I saw Kyle--well really saw him--talking and laughing and full of life, was right after Memorial Day last year. He had spent some time making this monster of a message on the Venice graffiti wall. It was a response to the fact that following the weekend, the city of Venice would put into effect a new law: writers could no longer paint on the wall without a permit. He thought that was ridiculous and wrote the above message: FUCKAPERMIT. He particularly liked the fact that the wall was across from the police station. I liked the fact that he was getting the 3D down really well.

That kid at the right end? He's already started to paint over Ky's work. That's how it was at the graffiti wall. Soon as you were done, the next writer is literally all over it. To get the picture, Ky had to ask folk to wait and then run way back to take the shot. He came home and dumped his pictures into my computer and we had a great talk that night. I told him I thought that if he were going to be a graffiti artist that words and messages, his politics, would be his talent. He then spent ages showing me pictures of graffiti he had taken all over San Francisco. He'd explained about his name DFEAT and the FYF crew theme that, sadly, I'd get to know so much more about that (FarewellYoungFriend). The time Ky spent with me, even at the time, felt like a gift, like something we were both savoring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I had no idea that Kyle's work would be overtaken by new inspiration, so quickly after completing his own! This lifestyle of the graffiti artist seems precarious. Still, he pressed on to do new work that must exist even now, somewhere. It would be nice to find some of it, still intact, and to preserve it, somehow.

That precious time you spent together is easy to imagine and I know you have savored its sweetness in your heart.

It won't ever be painted over by any new moment in the time and space of your ongoing life. It is fixed and sealed on the canvas of your mind.

Love and Hugs... : )

Katie said...

Thank you for sharing this special memory with us. I love to hear more about Kyle. Bless you, k