Sunday, May 25, 2008

Kyle Campbell Whitham McLeod Scholarship Recipient



On May 17th, I flew up north and attended the San Francisco State University History Department's Honors Banquet and presented the first Kyle McLeod Scholarship to Romina Green, the young woman pictured above. Beside her is Dr. Abdiel Onate, Director of Latin American Studies Minor.

Kyle's scholarship was given to Ms. Green because she met the criteria requested by our family and within the requirements of the university: a junior or senior majoring in Latin American History, in good standing, who is sensitive to issues of people of color, and who has financial need. Romina is the granddaughter of Chilean refugees from the Pinochet coup d'etat and is a delightful young woman who is traveling this summer for the first time to study in Chile.

The banquet took place at the Seven Hills Conference Center which was next to Ky's first year dorm (Mary Ward, I think) and next to the child care center. Ky would tell me about weekday mornings waking to the sounds of children playing below his window. I was welcomed warmly by the History Department and I was able to meet several of Kyle's teacher and a classmate who remembered Kyle fondly. Gearey, Miranda, and I were invited to return annually to present the scholarship award.

I think we made a good decision about how to honor Kyle. I think he would be pleased.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so touching and so moving. I could not agree more that Kyle would be very, very pleased.

Hugs!

Katie said...

Oh, yes, he would be. I am so glad you went. You look wonderful. Love you. k

Katie said...

Oh, yes, he would be. I am so glad you went. You look wonderful. Love you. k