Sunday, April 6, 2008

Yes, taxes, again -- and more reminders

I think any of you who are following this blog must wonder at all my references to taxes. Why so many? Well, I filed Federal and State taxes late last year, in October. Then, in February, I was busy doing my City Taxes. Now, I am determined to do my Feds on time. I'm not doing too badly. Should be better prepared for my appointment on Friday than I normally am.

The challenge? Reminders of Kyle are everywhere. They are in the envelope of receipts--all the purchases for the Last Thanksgiving, the Last Christmas, the Last Concert in town, the Last Year's Birthday party before the Last Concert, the Last Birthday Dinner. Why did I save them? Cause I just collect all my pieces of paper from my wallet, purse, calendar book, briefcase bag, desktop, and throw them in a file and then greet them all again at tax time. My theory: the more receipts, the more deductions I'll find.

But what do I find along with those little deductions? Kyle-related receipts that have nothing to do with my taxes. But can I throw them out now? Of course not. How can I throw out the receipt that tells me what we had to eat in honor of Ky's turning 22? How can I throw out a random receipt with spaghetti carbonara on it--it had to be Kyle's order. How can I throw out a receipt for boxers--the annual Xmas re-stocking of his underwear. Or the receipt from Pearl for all his art supplies.

So I stuffed those receipts in an envelope and wrote "Kyle" on it. And I took other receipts and put them in an envelope with "Miranda" on it.

And I got back to my taxes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday those receipts, together with all of the many other reminders of Kyle, will be a collection of the bits and pieces that will help you to recall the wonder of the details in Kyle's life. Unlike the taxes, they will be details that you will be happy and grateful to have and to hold.

But not now, not now.

Love and Hugs.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oh God . . . it's just too hard.

Lots of hugs and kisses,
Dianne

c. g. said...

actually it's not too hard. cause, i really do get through it okay. but it is ubiguitous. i mean, reminders doing the TAXES! but like robin says, those scraps of paper are bits and pieces that will remind me of kyle and will preserve the details for me. love you both.

Unknown said...

Just want to let you know that you and Ky have been deeply in my thoughts lately. Good luck with those damn taxes.

Love,
Joanne