Friday, April 11, 2008

There is joy . . .


After an email from my dear friend Suzanne, I realized that mostly I am blogging about Grief. And while that is very cathartic for me (after all, Grief is everpresent in my life), it is hard on you, dear reader. And it also gives you a false impression of Life After Death. Because Grief and Joy are not incompatible and right from the beginning I was capable of laughing and even being downright silly. One's sense of humor doesn't die with your loved one. And I am sure it would be comforting for you to know that.

Because I am finishing up Taxes (appointment at 2pm), I can't wax away here, but I do want to share with you the joyful thing that happened this morning. See that pool up there? See that duck? Well, as I was heading for my swim, this cute Quacker and his mate had beat me to it. I've seen them for two springs now, early morning, swimming around in the condos' 85 degree pool. I was curious to see what would happen, so I got in. Mr. & Mrs. Mallard got right out. I felt bad, but then again, I wasn't sure that swimming with ducks was like swimming with dolphins. They stood together at the end of the pool, not a foot away from the edge, keeping their eye on me as I did my 15 laps.

Then, I got out. Sat still for a few minutes, and the two were back in again. As I started messing with my cell phone to capture this pic, the Missus got a little nervous and jumped out. The Mister continued to swim as if to say to her, "Come on back in, Mama, the water's fine." She didn't and I took off.

So. A little story. To bring a smile. And to let you know that I smile a great deal, laugh a great deal, and am joyful a great deal.

But, to the taxes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must confess the void in my heart is filling more each day as I read your blog, the comments, and study the pictures. What a wonderful family we all have and share. I really miss seeing you and hearing your voices. Know I'm thinking of you and with much gratitude - soaking in your words of wisdom. Love you. ~cuz Dy

c. g. said...

i love you too, cousin. we've gotta connect. where the hell are you anyway? i'm in oakland and cupertino this weekend and oakland and hayward on the 26th. i think you're up there still too?