Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Goodbye to The Puss

Today I held the Puss as he was sedated, yawned, fell asleep, and received the injection that stopped his heart within minutes. It was a gentle, peaceful, and comforting goodbye. I thought about Kyle, who loved our pets Toby and Puss, and took such great care with them. I still see him holding the cat up to me, shoving him toward me, "Mom, kiss the Cat; you love the Cat." Usually he did this when I was pissed off at the Puss for something like torturing Toby. I love the cat because Kyle loved the cat. So, while it was so sad, and I cried so much that my eyes were heavy all day, it was okay. A slow, sweet end to 17 years of being our Puss.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Let me start by saying that I am so very sorry for your loss. This morning, I was sitting at my desk when my mother returned from walking my dog and handed me something she found along the walk. It was a memorial program to your son, Kyle. My mother and I were struck because he and I were born a week apart in 1985. I googled his name and came across your blog. I am saddened to learn of the loss of someone with so much potential, not to mention the tragic loss of a young person and a peer. He seems like a person I would have very much liked to meet. And, as I am sure you already know as his mother, he was a very handsome young man. Please accept my condolences and know that the sidewalks of Eagle Rock offer up memories of your son.

Anonymous said...

How can I contact you or your daughter???

c. g. said...

Dear Vanessa,
I rarely check the blog, but was so moved to find your comment. Please find me on Facebook so we can friend each other, and be in touch.

The program your mother found found was one of several that I had given out at our annual gathering in Kyle's memory at Forest Lawn on July 5th. There were several Eagle Rockers there that day, so one must have lost his or hers.

I look forward to speaking with you. I think your mom finding the program and then your both searching and reaching out to me is the kind of serendipity that makes life worth living.

Thank you, Vanessa (and your mother)

--cynthia, kyle's mum

c. g. said...

Cynthia Whitham