Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Vision Thing

The eyeball is mending. The attachment of the retina is successful. Vision in my right myopic/post surgery eye is pretty good--can see light, shapes, colors--just much blurrier than the left myopic eye still. If reading from that eye, things up close look wavy. and my worst case scenario fantasy was that my chin down position hadn't been perfect and the gas bubble hadn't given the proper pressure on my retina and that I had permanent wrinkles. But as I sat waiting (interminably) for the doctor and reading an article for work, I could see that the wavy words were not really wavy, but that I have little pale pale deposits--not floaters--in the way. Like I'm reading through a thin pane of antique class or through water droplets, so that little magnifications are distorting the words, to the point that a line of writing is uneven. bizarre. The doctor said it was unusual. Didn't like that piece of information.

In another 5 weeks I will return to the surgeon and then go back to the eye doctor to see what adjustments need to be made in my glasses and lenses. Supposedly my vision will continue to improve. Amazing, huh?

Every time I have something go wrong with my body: my thyroid condition, the uterine freakout that resulted in my hysterectomy, and now my detached retina--I'd think, What if I'd been living in the 1800's in Illinois or the 1600s in Salem like my father's people, or in the 1700's in Scotland or forever in Wales like my mother's people? Would I have lived long and heartily like so many of them? Probably the thyroid disease would have killed me off in my 30s. Or I would have bled to death in my early 50s. Or I'd be half blind and then fully blind in my 60s, and then have fallen off a cliff or been eaten by a very quiet bear.

But, lucky me, the wonders of modern medicine have saved me, once again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart, Wishing you a peaceful week-end. I know the upcoming anniversary will be hard. Love you lots, Della